MsS: Swift

Monday, May 23, 2005

Swift

On Saturday night I went to the Velvet Underground (a.k.a Hard Rock Cafe) to see Swift. I wrote about it here.

A couple of years ago, Swift was one of the unsigned bands that my friends and I couldn't get enough of. They've been compared to bands like Deftones and Glassjaw, and like those bands are not your typical run of the mill heavy music. Yeah there's screaming, and heavy crunching guitars, but also amazing lyrics, and attention to melody and song structure. Good stuff.

In 2002, Swift released an amazing record called Waging War. I was hoping that they would play something from that cd, but didn't think they would since it's three years old. But then I heard the first few strums of a familiar song. I ran over to my friend Janelle and said, "They're gonna play The Guatemalan!" It was good hearing an old favorite that I could sing along with.

Swift's new cd The Absolute Uncontrollable, will be available at their cd release show on June 11th at Ziggy's in Winston Salem. 6 p.m./$7/all ages. If you plan on going, get a ticket soon, because Swift usually sells out this 800 capacity venue like that!


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Oh and remember in a previous post I mentioned how every one in Athens has met Michael Stipe but me? Well my friend Michelle just met him for the first time on Friday. Dammit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home