MsS: To go or not to go?

Friday, May 20, 2005

To go or not to go?

Did you know that the Kaiser Chiefs used to be called Parva? Today, Matt posted the track Vending Machine, a song that the Chiefs recorded under their old moniker. Check it out.

I'm still debating on whether or not I should go to Music Midtown this year. It should be a no brainer, since the lineup is probably the best it's been in years: Interpol, Keane, The Pixies, Bloc Party, Loud Reed, Doug E. Fresh, The Lemonheads, Biz Marke, The White Stripes, She Wants Revenge, Def Leppard, Public Enemy, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Louis XIV, Tegan and Sara, Slick Rick....the list goes on and on. BUT tickets are $75 (w/o the extra Ticketmaster charges), and I don't have a job yet. I'll have enough by the time the festival rolls around, but thats a lot of money to an unemployed person who has to start paying back her college loans soon. I mean, if I get a job in the next few weeks, of course I'll buy a ticket. But right now, I'm not sure. Although, how can I not go and see Bloc Party when I've been listening to them non stop for the past few months? And I really want to check out She Wants Revenge too. Carlos introuduced me to them a few weeks ago, and when I heard the singer's voice I said to him, "Is that Paul Banks?" because it sounded so much like him. She Wants Revenge has two songs posted on their page if you're interested in hearing them. They've been on tour with Bloc Party for a little while. And of course it would be rad seeing The Pixies, and The Lemonheads, and Public Enemy, and Interpol. I should try winning tickets from 99x. But I never remember to listen to the radio unless I'm in the car.

I've been to a few festival type things, including Ozzfest and Warped tour. But they can definitely end up being aggravating with the heat, and all the people, and the expensive water, etc. I've never been to Music Midtown, even though I've lived in Atlanta all my life. In previous years, the festival took place during the 1st weekend in May. But they changed the date this year for some reason. Maybe they thought more people would be able to come to it if they held it in June? Maybe they wanted to get some bands during their summer tours? Anywho, even though I've never been, reports I've gotten back from friends always tend to include one thing. The weather sucked. It was either too hot, or it rained, or both. If it's that hot in may, I can only imagine what it will be like in June. Not to mention the fact that everyone and their mothers show up. I don't know if I can handle three days of music with everyone in Atlanta. I mean, Coachella isn't even that long! And if I'm paying $80, I want to get my money's worth for sure. This is the 1st year that they're not selling one day tickets, which are around $30. If they were, then I would just buy a ticket for saturday, and I'd get to see Bloc Party, The Pixies, and She Wants Revenge. Interpol plays on Friday night. Even though I love them, I've seen them like 5 times already, so it won't kill me if I miss them.

There's going to be a big Music Midtown afterparty on that Saturday (June 11th) at the Masquerade. DJs Kiss & Tell will be spinning. There are also supposed to be special DJ sets from Paul Banks (why not Carlos?), Bloc Party, Louis XIV, and The Features. And according to the myspace message that they sent today, "Keane, She Wants Revenge, A Fir Ju Well, and more will all be running around the club." So I'm thinking that if I don't make it to the festival, then I have to AT LEAST go to the afterparty, 'cause it looks like it might be pretty damn awesome. What a long ass weekend that's going to be. I might want to just stay home. Just thinking about doing so much in three days makes me tired.

One more thing. I'm totally pysched that Naima won America's Next Top Model. I think she was most people's favorite anyway. Well at least mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home