MsS: And I Feel No Pain

Thursday, June 09, 2005

And I Feel No Pain

Curtis was dazzling me with his B-52s stories the other day (hanging out with them and R.E.M.) and today I noticed that Domino Rally has the the track Whammy Kiss available. If you live in Georgia, it's pretty much mandatory that you listen to The B-52s and R.E.M., especially if you've spent any time at all in Athens.

Nubs posted some great pictures from the Motherfucker 5th anniversary Party in her LJ. She's an amazingly talented artist. Check out her page.

This afternoon, I had to take my dad to Jonesboro for a doctor's appointment. During the 2 hours I was sitting there (why do those things always take forever?) I read through the new music issue of Entertainment Weekly. It came out a couple of weeks ago, and had Coldplay on the cover. Anyway I learned some pretty interesting things:

- Sinead O'Conner has a 17 year old son and is 1/4 homosexual.
- Two of the members of Black Eyes Peas once were signed to Eazy E's record label.
- Myspace is the 6th most trafficked site on the internet.
- Sinead O'Conner and Billy Corgan are both 38.

This was the issue of Entertainment Weekly that had the Billy Corgan interview that a lot of people were talking about a few weeks ago. I was excited that I could finally read the whole interview. In it Billy said that he detest his Zwan band mates, and will never go anywhere near them again. He said that there's a better chance of the Pumpkins reuniting, saying that James (who he hasn't seen in four years) and D'arcy (who he hasn't seen in six years) are good, but misguided people. But he said that even a Pumpkins reunion would probably never happen because a lot of healing would need to go on.

Billy also said that he pretty much wanted to leave Zwan right before the album came out, but that he couldn't because ya know, their album was coming out, and they were going on tour. He's glad that the record didn't sell well, because if it had, people would have thought he was crazy to walk away from something successful, not knowing the things he was dealing with within the band.

I'm one of those people that will probably always love everything Billy Corgan does. I've loved the Smashing Pumpkins since I was 14. I was fortunate enough to see them live twice (once in 1998 and again in 2000). They're definitely in my top 5. Siamese Dream is one of the best albums ever made. I think Adore is a beautiful record, and I have two copies of MACHINA/The Machines of Gods (each came with bonus discs). I cried when the Pumpkins broke up. Billy was the first BIG rock star I'd ever met, and one of the few musicians I've met on multiple occasions (I met him three times between February and May of 2000). He even kissed me on the cheek once! Basically I'll always have love for Billy Corgan.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Towards the end of the interview, Billy was asked if he will perform any Zwan or Pumpkins songs on his upcoming solo tour. He said that he never would, because people should want to come out and see him for who he is now, and what he does now. But he said that he wouldn't be offended if people didn't come to his shows because of that. And then he said the funniest thing:

"When I'm a fan, I want to hear those songs too. I'm still mad at Richie Blackmore for not playing Man On a Silver Mountain when I saw Rainbow in 1982 at Alpine Valley. So I understand completely."

So Billy, seeing as how you understand when a fan really wants to hear a certain song, I have something to ask you. Why oh WHY didn't you play Mayonaise at your final Atlanta show in 2000 at the Tabernacle? It is my favorite Smashing Pumpkins song EVER. It was even my quote in the yearbook senior year in high school. You played it at EVERY other show on that tour. I know, I kept track of your setlists. I was so anxious and eager to hear it...and I waited for it...and waited. And you never played it. Instead, you played Raindrops + Sunshowers, which is a good song and all, but it ain't no Mayonaise. You sort of redeemed yourself when you ended the night with Drown, but it still wasn't enough. So Billy, I'm still pissed at you about that.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


As if you didn't know already, Billy is a big time blogger. Visit his myspace page to see what he has to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home