MsS: Happy Fathers Day!!

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Happy Fathers Day!!

Me and my dad Thanksgiving, 1982


My parents are from the caribbean, and so they mostly listen to old calypso and soca stuff. But oddly enough, they both really love country music. How is that possible you ask? Well here's the thing. Apparently when they were kids growing up on the tiny island of Antigua, one of the more exciting things they liked to do with their friends was go to sqaure dances. Yes. Square dances. How people in the West Indies ended up having square dances, I'm still trying to figure out. Anywho, at these square dances they would dance to lots of good ole' country songs, and they grew to love the genre. Fastforward to 2005, and my father never changes the radio dial from the country station whenever I'm in the car with him (Unless it's Saturday at 4, bcause that's when 89.3 has their calypso show). It can get pretty aggravating, especially since he never lets anyone else change the dial, even if I'm driving! But just when I'm about to lose my mind after the fourth bad country song in a row, Patsy Cline or Johnny Cash or Hank Williams or Loretta Lynn will come on, and then it's not so bad

Yesterday morning, when we were driving to Duluth for Karen's wedding, two great songs came on, Patsy Cline's Crazy and Johnny Cash's I Walk the Line. You just can't go wrong with Patsy and Johnny.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mutant Genius said...

Two of the few country songs I've heard that I really like.

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Johnny Cash, and I, like you, do not really care for country at all.

6:26 AM  
Blogger S.M.T. said...

I guess Johnny is the exception for everyone :)

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home