MsS: Mon Frere

Friday, June 24, 2005

Mon Frere

How many of you are on myspace?
How many of you get friend requests from bands?
How many of those bands actually end up not sounding like total shit?

I know that there's a way that I can block band add requests on my myspace account. And while that would cut down on a lot of crap in my inbox, I don't want to do it. Because while most of the bands that send me requests are pretty awful and should just give up playing music altogether, every once in awhile, one of bands will actually be kind of interesting.

Last week I got an add from a Mountlake Terrace, WA band called Mon Frere. I'm assuming they added me because I like Pretty Girls Make Graves, a band that they list as one of their influences, or as the put it, bands that they really want to play with. 3 points. And then the video for their song Real Vampires Don't Get Shitfaced (Fighting Mad) started playing, and I saw that guitarist Kyle Swisher was wearing a Will Haven hoodie. Holy hell, how rad is it that people are still rocking out to Will Haven? 5 points. And then singer/keyboardist Nouela Johnston started singing "You say you've grown into a man/Prove it the only way you can." 10 points. What do ya know, a band that found me on myspace that is actually pretty damn awesome.

Mon Frere is a mix of elctroclash and punk rock, sprinkled with creepy guitars and haunting keyboards. Nouela's vocals are strong and plesantly demanding. They've already made a big impact on their native Washington, and I'm sure that they are eager to bring their unique and varied brand of vampire and ninja loving indie rock to the rest of the country.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

You can listen to a couple of songs on their myspace page. Here's a song from their debut EP, Real Vampires, which will be released July 26th on Cake Records.

Mon Frere- R.V.D.G.S.F. (Fighting Mad)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have some great ideas :) Nevermind. Next time.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home