MsS: A panic attack, I knock at your door.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

A panic attack, I knock at your door.

Most of the friends that I have, I have because of music. Like my friend Stephanie who sat next to me in Ms. Whalen's religion class in high school. There was an assignment we had during the second week of freshman year where we had to discuss music, television, or movies, and how they affected young people. I decided to write about The Smashing Pumpkins song Tonight, Tonight, and I read my little paragraph in front of the class. Turns out that Stephanie was the biggest Smashing Pumpkins fan on earth. And then there was my Freshman year in college when I decided to decorate my dorm room door with pictures of Chino Moreno and Max Cavalera. And this girl walked by my door one day and saw that I liked Deftones and Soulfly, and stopped by to introduce herself, since she was a big fan of those bands as well. That was my friend Melina, and we've been going to shows together and talking music ever since. I know Michelle from a PR Administration class we had a few years ago, but we didn't really start talking until last year when she saw me at the Robert Smith meet and greet at 99x (psst, I'm in the second to last picture).

And then there are the friends that I have that love music so much that they're in bands. A few years ago, my friend Andrew started playing bass in a local band. He ended up having to leave the band after a few months because he was moving to California. But he sent me some demos that they had done, and told me to keep up with the band even though he wasn't going to be playing for them anymore. They were sure to do great things. So I did...and I still do.

I first met eNTERTAINME.nt's lead singer, Trey Ehart, at a Prids show at Lenny's Thanksgiving weekend, 2003. Like Andrew had suggested, I had been keeping up with Trey through the occasional email, but had never actually met him in person. He was at Lenny's to see The Prids too. I'm not sure how Trey found out about The Prids, but it was probably the same way I did. Andrew knew about them and knew Mistina (the Prids bassist) through LJ I guess. Through Andrew's journal, I found hers and saw that we had similar taste in bands. So I added her and she added me back. Then I found out that she was in a band called The Prids, and was thrilled to see that we had their cd in rotation at WUOG. The rest, as they say, is history. So I met her for the first time at that show as well. Snowden played the show that night too, and they would end up being another favorite local act.

I had heard a few things from eNTERTAINME.nt, demos, their Safe at One 7 ", and stuff from their Atlantis sampler, but I didn't get a chance to see them live until last summer. They played at MJQ with Self Help Tapes, Green Circles, and The Prids. So basically, it was an amazing line up. Obviously its important for a band to be good on record. But it's even more important for them to be good live, as some artists seem unable to replicate the sound that they create in the studio. eNTERTAINME.nt is amazing live. Their sound fills the room and demands your attention. Once they've got it, they've got you for the rest of the night.

I can't really say that eNTERTAINME.nt sounds like anyone. You could probably guess who their influences are, and you could probably put them into a couple of genres (post-punk/death rock/new wave/garage rock). But with with the resurgence of these familiar sounds all over the radio, I can honestly say that eNTERTAINME.nt is one of a kind.

The guys are on the cover of the current issue of Southeast Performer.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

You can read the article here.

Visit their myspace page to check out their songs Patroness and Safe at One.

Purchase the Patroness 7" here.

Purchase the Safe at One 7" here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home