MsS: Radio, play my favorite song

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Radio, play my favorite song

As you've probably heard by now, Billy Corgan placed a full page ad in Tuesday's Chicago Tribune. I wonder how much that set him back? Anyway, in addition to commenting on the release of his first debut solo record, The Future Embrace, Billy revealed that he wishes to get the Smashing Pumpkins back together. WoW. The thought of seeing a Pumpkins show again gives me chills. I love them. I was lucky enough to see them twice, but not with all 4 original members at the same time. In 1998, I saw them at the Fox but it was just Billy, James and D'arcy. I saw them again in 2000, but D'arcy had already left by then, and Melissa Auf Der Maur had replaced her on bass. Jimmy was there though, so it was nice to see him back. But yeah, I'd love to see Billy, James, D'arcy and Jimmy on the same stage, playing stuff from Gish and Siamese Dream.....that would be pretty amazing. Billy still has to make up for not playing Mayonaise at their final Atlanta show. Billy, I'm serious. I'm gonna be forever upset about that.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tonight is the first night of Billy's solo tour. And guess what city he's rocking first? The good old ATL! He's gonna be playing stuff from his ipod on 99x this afternoon around 3:30. It should be interesting to see what he plays. The Smashing Pumpkins owe a lot of their early success to 99x because it was the first radio station to play songs from Gish. This morning when my mom and I were coming back from the park, I heard Drown on the radio, and I got all giddy inside. I'm not going to the show tonight (not having money is a bitch) but I know a few people going, and I'm sure they'll tell me how it was tomorrow. I've seen Billy perform live about four times between the Pumpkins, Zwan, and solo performance for 99x. He's always amazing.

I can't help but wonder what D'arcy and James are thinking at the moment. Would they even have any interest at all in playing with Billy again? I mean, he did refer to them as "misguided." I guess only time will tell. But in the meantime, I can dream, right?

2 Comments:

Blogger evan said...

great post!

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ekko is right, great post.
We all know the answers right now, D'arcy and James are not joining the new band, which is a great loss, but hey, I have seen Prague concert - they are in pretty damn good condition! Anyway, this post made my night, I am opening one more beer, listening to Gish.
Thanks!

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home