MsS: Can't you see that you must be a part of that beat in my heart

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Can't you see that you must be a part of that beat in my heart

I've been super busy this week working on some of my Uncle's houses that he's renting (which is why I haven't been posting every day. Not making excuses, just saying). I'll be doing the same thing today and probably tomorrow as well. Anyway, my cousin Kevin has been helping out too. We always listen to the radio while we're working, 'cause it helps to make the time go by faster. While listening to some hits station, The Black Eyed Peas song Don't Phunk With My Heart, came on and Kevin said, "You know they took that one line from a Lisa Lisa song right?" And I asked, "Seriously?" Sure, enough they did. I hope Lisa got paid boo coo bucks for that.

Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam was a Brooklyn based dance-pop/R&B group that was pretty successful in the mid 80s. The group consisted of Lisa Velz (Lisa Lisa) and Mike Hughes and Alex "Spanador" Moseley (Cult Jam). Anyway, I hadn't heard Lisa Lisa's I Wonder If I Take You Home until today. It's SOO good of course, 'cause Lisa Lisa is the shit. Turns out that I Wonder If I Take You Home was their debut single in 1985. Hey I was only 4. Like I knew what was going on in 1985.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So since we were on the topic of Lisa Lisa, I said to Kevin, "And that Nina Sky song also has a part from Can You Feel The Beat" and he was like, "Who?" and had no idea what I was talking about. Sometimes he's out of the music loop and doesn't know what the kids are listening to, so I have to help him out a bit.

Then Kevin said something about how Lisa Lisa was the bomb back in the day when he was younger (he's 37) and recorded some really great stuff. And I said, "Yeah I really love her song, Let The Beat Hit Em." and he said, "She didn't do that. Someone else did." and I was like, "Nuh Uh!" and he was all "Yes huh!" and then he had me doubting myself for a second. And then I looked up the lyrics on the trusty ole internet and saw that I was right all along. I win.

The group disbaned in 1991 after their record Straight Outta Hell's Kitchen. Lisa went on to record her debut solo record LL 77 , but the record failed to duplicate the success she had with Cult Jam.

Lisa and the boys should be proud of the awesome music they made together. I dare you to listen to these songs and not dance. And yes tapping your feet and bobbing your head count.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
(from Head to Toe)

Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam- Head to Toe
Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam- I Wonder If I Take You Home
Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam- Let the Beat Hit 'Em

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
(from Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam with Full Force)

Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam- Can You Feel the Beat

(from Spanish Fly)

Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam- Lost In Emotion

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And for kicks, here's Nina Sky's Move Ya Body

Nina Sky- Move Ya Body (from Nina Sky)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home