MsS: Is there something I should know?

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Is there something I should know?

Well I got my phone yesterday and I've been playing with it for the past 24 hours. Music blog what? But I figured you guys might want some music today. So here's some stuff from Simon, John, Nick, Andy, and Roger.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tonight the godfathers of new romance, Duran Duran, are playing Chastain Amphitheater here in Atlanta. Steve played a lot of their songs on Retroplex this afternoon and it was fun singing along to Wild Boys, Planet Earth, and All She Wants. I can't really say that I remember all of the Duran Duran hoopla in the 80s. I was still pretty young when they were starting to get really big. Hell, their first record came out the same year I was born (1981). But I do remember seeing their videos on MTV, liking their songs, and thinking that John Taylor was definitely the cutest. 'Cause every girl had a favorite.

At the time, a lot of critics just wrote Duran Duran off as a teeny bopper boy band who cared more about makeup and hair than their music. Sure they had a lot of young teenage fans (mostly girls because I hear it wasn't cool to like Duran Duran if you were a boy), and yes they were all really good looking, and yeah they wore pastel suits and lots of makeup. But if you look at the other guy groups that critics call teeny bopperish, there's no way that you could put Duran Duran in the same building. They're actual musicians, and they've written really incredible songs. Take your pick. Girls On Film, The Reflex, Rio, Hungry Like The Wolf, notorious, Ordinary World, etc. And you know that if you're somewhere and Rio starts playing you're gonna sing along to every word. That was definitely my favorite video of theirs growing up. And when I found out that they had filmed it in the waters of Antigua (the island where my parents are from) it made me like it even more.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Here are a few of my personal favorites from the boys.

Duran Duran- Girls on Film (from Duran Duran)
Duran Duran- Save A Prayer (from Rio)
Duran Duran- New Moon On Monday (from Seven and the Ragged Tiger)
Duran Duran- Notorious (from Notorious)
Duran Duran- Come Undone (from Duran Duran a.k.a. The Wedding Album)
Duran Duran- White Lines (from Thank You)

So you probably don't know this about me, but one of my favorite bands is Deftones. I just love everything they do. I still think that they are the best when it comes to covers because all of the ones that they've done have been spectacular, mostly because Chino (unlike a lot of other frontmen) has a really great voice. Deftones did a cover of Duran Duran's The Chauffeur for the Duran Duran Tribute album. It's AWESOME. And dare I say...maybe even a little better than the original. Chino was definitely a new romantic in another life.

Duran Duran- The Chauffeur (from Rio)
Deftones- The Chauffeur (from The Duran Duran Tribute Album)

The rest of the dates for Duran Duran's North American tour can be found here. My friends say that they still put on a really good show.

And remember, don't squeeze the Lebon :)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

1 Comments:

Blogger S.M.T. said...

Haha, yeah you definitely don't want your parents anywhere near the venue if you have to get them to pick you up. That's hysterical. That's rad that you saw Duran Duran AND Information Society. You went to all the cool shows as a kid huh?

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home