MsS: But you didn't have much to say. But you were beautiful anyway

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

But you didn't have much to say. But you were beautiful anyway

Sometimes I try holding off on writing about certain bands because I want the largest possible audience to read about them. And I think that if I wait a couple of months, there will be at least a few more people who find my blog and in turn a few more people to read about said bands. But I've really wanted to write about Snowden for a while now, so here goes.

I first heard Snowden when they opened for The Prids at Lenny's in Atlanta. Before they went on, one of my friends pointed to their flyer hanging on the wall and said, "These guys are supposed to be really good. People call them the Atlanta Interpol." Being that I was absolutely enthralled with Turn on the Bright Lights at that time, I was definitely interested in hearing them.I casually listened to Snowden's set that night. I got distracted because my cousin was in town that night and I was hanging out with The Prids and doing other stuff. The little that I remember hearing I thought was good thing.

A few days after that show, I decided to find Snowden's website to REALLY give them a good listen like they deserved. I can't remember all the tracks that they had for download on their site at the time. But I can definitely remember one. The band had done a cover of The Zombies classic Time of the Season. I'm not a die hard Zombies fan or anything, but that's just a kick ass song. I was really interested to see how Snowden would interpret it. What I heard blew me away. This was my reaction to the song in an LJ post:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

EVERYONE go HERE right NOW and download this AMAZING cover of the Zombie's TIME OF THE SEASON that SNOWDEN did. WOW WOW WOW.

This is just about the coolest thing I've ever heard.

Even my friend Seth, who is the biggest music snob in the world, said that this track was genius musicially. Sometimes when you hear a cover and you end up really liking it, you wonder if you like it because that particular version is actually very good or because the song itself is a great song and hard to mess up. I was happy when I heared Snowden's other stuff because it was clear that they wrote really amazing songs too.

Jordan Jeffares is Snowden's founding member and main songwriter. When I first got a hold of Snowden's selt titled EP, I was so thrilled to hear such a great local band. Atlanta is known more for hip hop than indie music, so it was definitely nice to find out about Snowden. I can hear a little Interpol in their music, but there's definitely more Radiohead and My Bloody Valentine going on in their songs.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The first song that I really took to on the EP was Good News, which is funny because when I interviewed Jordan for my radio show a year ago, I think he said that Good News was his least favorite recording on the EP. I think everyone can agree that the line "It used to break my heart but it doesn't anymore," will get you every time. As if you wouldn't be pulled in by their gorgeous, lush sound, Jordan's lyrics are really incredible too.

I'd say that Snowden is one of the most popularbands in Atlanta right now. They're absolutely amazing live and every day people are catching on to just how wonderful their music is. Jordan's brother Preston runs Kiss Atlanta and hosts Decatur Social Club every Friday night. It's honestly one of the best times you could ever have dancing to the best music you've ever heard.

I've always thought of Snowden as one of those bands that will make it HUGE one day, and then every one will brag about how they were fans from the very beginning. So you should start listening to them now, so that you won't have to lie later on.

Snowden have all of the songs from their EP available for download on the music page of their site. But if you're too lazy to go there, you can download them below. You should definitely download each and every song. Trust me. They actually re-recorded all of the songs from the EP and so the versions you'll hear are different from the ones that appear on the cd. Having talked to Jordan on a few different occasions about his music, he always strives to make things the very best that they can be. But that's good because you know that you'll always get his absolute best. The cd and the 2.0 versions are both fantastic so you won't be losing either way. If you like what you hear you can purchase the EP here.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

(from Snowden)
Victim Card
Good News
Chin Up
Kill the Power
Come Around
Anybody Else

Here's Snowden's recently released 7 inch single Black Eyes. Very, very good. Definitely listen to this one.

Black Eyes

And finally here's the track that first got my attention, Snowden's cover of the Zombies' Time of the Season.

Time of the Season

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Update, woman!

11:15 AM  
Blogger S.M.T. said...

I would but someone keeps me up at night on the phone and then I'm too tired to update :P

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home