MsS: It's a shame that our Messiahs move their pawns from different mountains

Sunday, August 21, 2005

It's a shame that our Messiahs move their pawns from different mountains

Earlier this week in Georgia, there was a candlelight vigil at the state capital for the soldiers who had died fighting in Iraq. I imagine that all soldiers realize that there is a possibility that they won't make it back home, especially since so many of them have died since the war began. But it's so awful when you hear on the news that another soldier has died. And they're always so young. I'm 23 and there are so many things that I haven't done, and that's definitely the case for other people my age and younger. Some of these soldiers will never have the opportunity to get married, or travel to Greece, or learn how to play the drums.

I don't think I'd feel very brave if things were constantly blowing up around me, if I had to constantly watch my back. Even the toughest of men fighting in Iraq must get a little scared at times. There's so much uncertainty there. And it's hard to be hopeful all the time.

For the ones who do make it back home, there's still so much emotion that they have to deal with afterwards. I can't even imagine what having to shoot another person would feel like, or seeing your best friend get shot right next to you.

I hope all the soldiers get to come back home soon, and for good. Almost everyone knows someone who's over there. You want to be optimistic and say that one day there will be peace everywhere and that one day everyone will get along. But that will never happen. I guess the best we can do is hope that things will get a little better before they get a whole lot worse. And maybe people will be able to live full lives that won't be cut short.

I'm sure you've all heard War by Bob Marley and Love Vigilantes by New Order. I think both are great songs with a lot of strong imagery. You probably aren't as familiar with Glassjaw's Radio Cambodia, which appeared on their second full length record Worship and Tribute. I've always thought the lyrics were incredibly hard hitting and Daryl's voice in this song has such a sense of urgency to it, that I think it really brings across his feelings about war.

I'm not impressed, I guess I'm not impressed
with which dialect, which dialect marches best
and who reaches heaven in what order
when our kids are baptized in mortar.

Bob Marley- War (from Legend Lives On)
New Order- Love Vigilanetes (from Low Life)
Glassjaw- Radio Cambodia (from Worship and Tribute)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home