MsS: A little bit country

Sunday, August 14, 2005

A little bit country

Since I've been super busy lately, I haven't been able to visit my long ass list of blogs, which is what I loved doing every day when I first started blogging. So I'm using today to catch up.

Looks like I missed a bunch of awesome stuff at Blow Up Doll, including The Waitress' I Know What Boys Like, and Leslie Gore's You Dont Own Me. This blog is great and features songs by female artists. Go here for the Waitresses' track, here for the Leslie Gore track, and go here to check out a song by Sissy Spacek. For the longest time I thought that Loretta Lynn had recorded a version of the Patsy Cline song There He Goes. In the movie Coal Miner's Daughter, there's a scene where Sissy Spacek sings it at a honky tonk. I was so impressed with that song when I first saw that movie (great movie if you haven't seen it) and was forever looking for that track. Then I discovered that it was actually Sissy singing in the movie, and not a recording of Loretta. It was really impressive.

Here's Sissy's version of the song from the Coal Miner's Daughter Soundtrack, and Patsy's original version.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Patsy Cline- There He Goes (from The Patsy Cline Collection)
Sissy Spacek- There He Goes (from Coal Miner's Daughter Soundtrack)

Thanks to Daily Refill, I found out that Adrien Grenier is the drummer for a band called The Honey Brothers. I've only seen Adrien in one movie (Drive Me Crazy) so it's really hard to rate his acting abilities. But these days it seems like a lot of actors want to do the music thing too ( Jared Leto, Adam Brody, etc). You can listen to song Honey Brothers songs on their myspace page.

There's a great new blog called Jukebox Upchuck, brought to you by Get Levitation's thenoiseboy. Check it out for The Go Betweens, Bell and Sebastian, and The Outsiders.

Now I'm not really a fan of mash ups. I mean I guess some of them are cool, but most of them just get on my nerves. But I've been going through my folder of downloaded stuff and I came across this mash of Amerie's 1 Thing and M.I.A.'s Pull Up the People. I think I only like this because it's two of my favorite songs, so I don't have a choice. It's all sorts of awesome ya know what I mean?

Carrasco - MIA's Thing

And in honor of the upcoming Johnny Cash bio flick Walk the Line starring Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon here's a track by June Carter Cash. I'm *hoping* the movie will be amazing, or else people are going to be pissed as hell. Check out the trailer here. Joaquin looks like he'll be a pretty convincing Johnny Cash. And I think Reese will do a good job as June. I love it when she lets the southern girl in her come out.

June Carter Cash- Heel (from Keep on the Sunny Side)



We're all going to hell for the songs we sing.
What about me Jerry Lee? Am I going to hell?
Naw June. You're beautiful

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I ever tell you that I've been to Patsy Cline's hometown? And been to her "grave?" (It's more of a memorial.)

4:15 PM  
Blogger S.M.T. said...

Wow really? That's pretty rad. I love Patsy. It's really tragic that she died in a plane crash. She would have made a lot more great music for sure.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup. I was visiting some friend in Winchester, Virginia, which is where she was born. That same day I visited her grave, I had a soda at the drug store counter where she used to waitress and visited the radio station where she first professionally performed. I'm not a huge huge huge fan, but it just seemed the thing to dom since there's fuck all to do in Winchester.

4:21 PM  
Blogger S.M.T. said...

Remind me to never go there then. JK. But it's really cool that you visited so many Patsy landmarks while you were there.

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home