MsS: No use on dwelling on the things you'll soon forget.

Saturday, August 13, 2005

No use on dwelling on the things you'll soon forget.

Last week one of my favorite bands traveled to a Vancouver studio to start mixing their third album. Pretty Girls Make Graves finished recording their new record last month, and hopefully it will be out on Matador before the year is up.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

If you've looked over to the left in my "about me" section and wondered who the hell Andrea Zollo is, she's the lead singer for one of my top 5 favorites, Pretty Girls Make Graves. I met her and Nick after a show and Nick signed my copy of Good Health with an Andrew W.K. quote he had heard a few nights before.


ghnick

And when I met Andrea, she told me that I had a pretty name, and of course that made me happy for days. She's just awesome, it's as simple as that.


ghandrea

In June I posted about Pretty Girls Make Graves but only talked about songs from their first full length Good Health. That cd was released on Lookout! in April of 2002 and is definitely an indie rock favorite for many. I was really excited for the band when I heard that they had signed with Matador. Every band wants to sign with Matador.

The first time I saw them was at the Masquerade when they opened for Alkaline Trio. They only played about 4 songs from Good Health. The rest were all new songs from The New Romance. Out of the new songs that they played that night, the one that stuck out in my head the most had Andrea singing, "You aren't the ones who fascinate us." A few months later I heard the entire record before it was released and The Grandmother Wolf immediately became my favorite track. But then The Teeth Collector became my new favorite, and then after that This Is Our Emergency. It changed every couple of weeks. I bought The New Romancethe day it came out at School Kids Records in Athens. Every single song is fantastic. This band isn't capable of writing bad songs. Every thing they do is amazing and everything they release is better than the last.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Now, this might be blasphemy to some Pretty Girls Make Graves fans, but The New Romance is definitely my favorite out of their two full lengths. Don't get me wrong, both records are phenomenal and every song is great. But The New Romance seems to have so much going on that every time I listen to it, I hear something new. And with as many times as I've listened to it, that's pretty amazing.

The band has lots of tour dates on their website and there's a good chance that they're coming to a town near you. Well unless you live in the South East. I haven't seen them since March of 2004 and its definitely about time. I'm totally jealous of the people who live on the west coast 'cause they play shows constantly over there. I hope you guys know how good you have it.

Below are my favorites from The New Romance. There are a lot of reasons why I love this band. I love their sound, I love it that I feel like dancing whenever I hear one of their songs, I love the fact that Andrea's lyrics mean more and more to me with every listen. So check these out.

(from The New Romance)

The Grandmother Wolf
All Medicated Geniuses
The Teeth Collector
This is Our Emergency
A Certain Cemetery


If you like these songs, definitely get the record, and definitely get Good Health and definitely get PGMG's self titled EP. I promise that you'll love everything.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Oh and if you want to hear More Sweet Soul, the song that my blog is named after, you can listen to it on PGMG's myspace profile.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Updates! When I get home from work I'll get to a-downloadin'.

2:57 PM  
Blogger S.M.T. said...

Super! I hope you like the stuff from this record.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, if anything matches up to "The Getaway," I'm sold.

3:07 PM  
Blogger S.M.T. said...

Damn, 'The Getaway' is such a great song. That was the first PGMG song I heard and it made me think, "Ok, yes I fucking love this band." I think 'A Certain Cemetery' is The New Romance's 'The Getaway'.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home