MsS: You are the very first time I felt alive

Sunday, September 18, 2005

You are the very first time I felt alive

Before my computer crapped out on me, I planned on writing about Estrela, a band from Augusta, Georgia. This morning I visited their myspace page to see what they've been up to lately, and it looks like they've gotten a new bass player. The split wasn't amicable it seems. You can read more about it here.

I first heard Estrela a couple of years ago, and remember them having sort of an emocore feel to them. In fact, I think they even likened themselves to Glassjaw. I wasn't that crazy about the singer's voice though (I totally can't remember his name right now), so I didn't really listen to them after that. But then earlier this year, my friend Akeem told me that I really had to listen to them. I explained to him that I had heard them before and wasn't really into it. Then he said, "But they have a new singer and she's amazing."



Changing singers can really make a band something completely different. And this was certainly the case for Estrela. With Chelsea Logue fronting the band, their sound changed to more suite her voice, and they sound like a completely different band now.

I saw Estrela at the very last Cotton Club show in Atlanta and was amazed at how well Chelsea's voice sounded live. I was thrilled when the band played Intramural, the first song of theirs that Akeem had me listen to. Intramural is one of those songs that have to listen to like 8 times in a row, because there's so much going on, and every lyric is one that you want to commit to memory. I've already listened to it 5 times today.

Some of the bands Estrela lists as influences are Dredg, The Mars Volta, and Incubus. You can definitely hear some old school Incubus in their stuff, so if you're a fan of Fungus Amongus/S.C.I.E.N.C.E. era Incubus, you'll definitely be able to hear similarities.

So here's the song that I love listening to over and over and over again as well as another track from their self titled demo.

Estrela-Intramural
Estrela- Eddifice

Estrela on Myspace

Estrela on Pure Volume


2 Comments:

Blogger S.M.T. said...

It's good to be back :D

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chelsea logue is a stupid whore with a dirty nasty yellow pussy

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home