MsS: And if I still had eyes, then I would surely cry

Monday, October 31, 2005

And if I still had eyes, then I would surely cry

Happy Halloween everyone. I hope you had fun at your Halloween parties this weekend and didn't get sick from eating too much candy. In honor of Halloween, I'm writing about Zombina and the Skeletones. If you haven't been fortunate enough to hear Nobody Likes You yet, you're in for a treat!



I found out about Zombina and the Skeletones either late last year or early this year. I can't really remember. Someone on my LJ friends list had mentioned them, and so I decided to check them out.

Zombina and the Skeletones are rock 'n' roll from Liverpool. But they're also a surf/rockabilly/punk/horror rock hybrid and they sing songs about graves, vampires and of course zombies. They definitely would've fit in perfectly at Drop Dead this year (they played last year I think.)

The first song I heard by them was Nobody Likes You. Probably one of the funniest songs I've ever heard, but not in a cheesy, novelty sort of way. I mean it's a really good song, about how hard it is to make friends when you're dead. I imagine it's a big problem. But really, the song is great and you're going to want to listen to it over and over again.

Believe it or not I was a beauty queen, yeah
I was the toast of the rock and roll scene
I had all the friends that money could buy
But I would trade it all in just to be alive

If they could see me now
That little gang of mine
You can bet your ass that they'd run a mile
If my friends could see me now....

Nobody likes you when you're dead
It just ain't right
Just 'cause I'm biting on your head
There's no need to be impolite
And if I still had eyes
Then I would surely cry
Nobody likes you when you're dead
And that's the story of my life.

See the repulsion on your faces
Have you looked in a mirror lately?
Have you ever been a teenage dream?
My daddy was a tv, my mommy was a magazine
The only man that I ever loved
Was the same motherfucker who cut me up
He cut me up in a special way,
He made me what I am today
And if my friends could see me now....



Nobody Likes You (from Taste the Blood of Zombina and the Skeletones) *highly recommended*
I Love Rock 'n' Roll (from I Was a Human Bomb for the F.B.I.)
I Was a Human Bomb for the F.B.I. (from I Was a Human Bomb for the F.B.I.)
The Count of Five (from Silver Bullet)
Meteorite (from Taste the Blood of Zombina and the Skeletones)

Zombina and the Skeletones have a ton of mp3s for download through their site. Go here to hear more from them.

Here are some more songs that remind me of this scared day.

Mon Frere is a band from Mountlake Terrace, Washington. They've got a rockin keyboardist with a mad wicked wail. Their single is called Real Vampires Don't Get Shitfaced (Fighting Mad). Awesomest title ever or what? Listen to it.



Mon Frere- Real Vampires Don't Get Shitfaced (Fighting Mad) (from Real Vampires)

When I was like 10, I was obsessed with my DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince tape, He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper. I knew every song word for word, including A Nightmare on My Street. Still a great song to listen to.

DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince- A Nightmare on my Street (from He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper)

Whenever I hear the Rolling Stones' Sympathy for the Devil, I always think of the final scene in Interview With a Vampire (even though the version that played in the movie was done by Guns 'n' Roses).

Rolling Stones- Sympathy For the Devil (from Beggars Banquet)

Ever since I saw the movie Jeepers Creepers, the song Jeepers Creepers has always made me feel a little weird. Even when Siouxsie and the Banshees sing a similar chorus in their song Peek-a-Boo, it gives me chills. But Peek-a-Boo is a fantastic song. The accordion in it definitely bills up the creepiness. I love it!

Siouxsie and the Banshees- Peek-a-Boo (from Peepshow)

And finally, the quintessential monster song, Monster Mash.

Dr. Demento- Monster Mash (from Dr. Demento's 20th Anniversary Collection)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, the Skeletones took up some real estate on my Halloween mix cd.

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shaliza...

You're one crazy MIA fan, maybe you can answer a question for me:

I've got a copy of her doing the Kaiser Chiefs' "Every Day I Love You Less And Less" on the late John Peel's radio show. She does the lyrics over some thumping music that I recognize, but can't place. Do you know what it is?

8:33 AM  
Blogger S.M.T. said...

Well if it's the same one that I'm thinking of, then the song that she does the lyrics over is Sean Paul's "Deport Them." At least, that's the only one that I've ever heard.

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hell yeah!

I even HAVE it. *sheesh*

Thanks! I can sleep again!

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that "John Peel" reference might have made you think harder than you had to - it wasn't the John Peel show, though it was a Radio One appearance. Thanks again.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home