MsS: I just don't know for sure

Thursday, October 06, 2005

I just don't know for sure

When I mentioned on my LJ that I was going to see Bloc Party, Tal asked if The Noisettes were opening, because they had opened for Bloc Party in New York. I said that I didn't know, and asked her what the sounded like. Tal said, "the singer reminds me of Leila from The Duke Spirit, and they kind of remind me of early PJ Harvey. The singer is nuts though. She did a cartwheel with the mic in her mouth Karen O style!" Of course I had to listen to this band immediately.



When I went to their site, I was surprised to learn that there is a band from Athens, GA also called the Noisettes (I've never heard of them which is kind of strange). Funny huh? Anywho, the track Don't Give Up was available for download on their site, so I gave it a listen to. It's fucking awesome and so you should listen to it too.

The Noisettes- Don't Give Up

The Noisettes are Shingai Shoniwa (bass/vocals), Dan Smith (guitar) and Jamie Morrison (drums). They're from the UK but I can't say that I've heard of any other UK band that sounds anything like them. NME said that they're, "the best kept secret in Rock 'N' Roll." The band was recently in Los Angeles for three months recording songs for their upcoming album. It will be out sometime next year, February at the earliest.

The few Noisettes reviews I've read have all mentioned that Shingai has a great blues rock voice. One reviewer even said that she has "the ability to wail and shout like a female Robert Plant for the post-punk generation." So even if you're not a Led Zeppelin fan, you've gotta admit that Robert Plant could do some really amazing things vocally. And so can Shingai.



I was gonna be super awesome and give you two more tracks from their four song EP, Three Moods of the Noisettes. But then I thought it was too good for people NOT to buy immediately. I only heard one song of theirs before ordering it. So after listening to Don't Give Up, your next action should be pretty obvious. However, don't be fooled into thinking that the rest of the EPs songs sound like the first one.

The second track, Monte Christo, stands in great contrast to the chaotic style of Don't Give Up. On Monte Christo, Shingai definitely demonstrates the "sultry purrs and jazz diva scats" that she's loved for. With Dan backing her up on vocals and playing acoustic guitar, the song almost feels as though it could've been played during the time of the actual Monte Cristo.

Signs and Burn are also great tracks and the EP even has the video for Don't Give Up. The video is the next best thing we have to seeing them live, and gives a small look into how energetic their shows must be.




If you like what you've heard so far, I urge you, beg you, PLEAD with you to go and pick up Three Moods of the Noisettes. Pretty Please?

155_5533

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home