MsS: I'm not the one you want babe, I'm not the one you need

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

I'm not the one you want babe, I'm not the one you need

I found this cool cover over at Muruch: M.I.A. covering' the Kaiser Chiefs song Everyday I love You Less and Less. But the best part is that Maya does the song over the beat for Sean Paul's Deport Them. Yes it's as awesome as it sounds. Deport Them is pre Dutty Rock Sean Paul, and it's good. Makes me want to wave my West Indian flags in the air carnival style.

M.I.A.- Everyday I Love You Less and Less
Kaiser Chiefs- Everyday I Love You Less and Less (from Employment)
Sean Paul- Deport Them (from Stage 1)

There's new Franz Ferdinand, Metric, and The Strokes over at Moroccan Role so give a listen (if you haven't heard them yet). Metric actually played here last night, but I didn't go. I've been slacking on going to shows lately, although I'll probably be going to see Nikka Costa on Monday. Calla and Gang of Four played in the same building on Saturday (one upstairs, the other downstairs) and I didn't go to either one. Michelle saw Gang of Four in Athens Friday night and said that they rocked the hell out. Apparently the R.E.M. boys were also there, and so again I've missed another chance to see Michael Stipe in person. Will it ever happen? Who knows. But probably not since the only time I've been back to Athens since graduation was for M.I.A. at the 40 Watt. Speaking of R.E.M., did guys here about the original members playing at a wedding this past Saturday?

Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix were on Oprah on Monday. So was Ricky Martin, but we don't so much care about him. Anyway, I think I'm developing a crush on Joaquin, and I'm excited about seeing his gorgeous mug all over the place in the next couple of months. Did you know that he's been vegan since the age of three? Interesting fun fact!. Anyway, Walk the Line comes out November 18th (although who knows when I'll actually see it). Both played their own instruments and sang all the songs in the movie, which is really impressive since Joaquin said that he never even hummed in the shower before he started working on the movie. All together they recorded 26 songs for the movie, which is really amazing. On Oprah, they showed a lot of clips from the film, and Reese and Joaquin had to actually perform in front of 3,000 people. I would've been terrified. It'll be interesting to see what the soundtrack sounds like. It comes out November 15th. Here are the tracks:

"Get Rhythm," Joaquin Phoenix
"I Walk the Line," Joaquin Phoenix
"Wildwood Flower," Reese Witherspoon
"Lewis Boogie Blues," Waylon Payne
"Ring of Fire," Joaquin Phoenix
"You're My Baby," Johnathan Rice
"Cry Cry Cry," Joaquin Phoenix
"Folsom Prison Blues," Joaquin Phoenix
"That's All Right," Tyler Hilton
"Juke Box Blues," Reese Witherspoon
"It Ain't Me Babe," Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon
"Home of the Blues," Joaquin Phoenix
"Milk Cow Blues," Tyler Hilton
"I'm a Long Way From Home," Shooter Jennings
"Cocaine Blues," Joaquin Phoenix
"Jackson," Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon


I saw Clay Pigeons this weekend on Bravo. It's a movie Joaquin did back in 1998 with Janeane Garofalo and Vince Vaughn. I haven't seen Joaquin in too many movies (Gladiator and Inventing the Abbots are the other two I've seen) but he's definitely come into his own. Now when I hear his name, I think, "Great actor", and not "River's brother."

I think I had a point to all this...oh yeah. So when watching the show, I remembered something I read in Newsweek last month when I was serving jury duty. There was a piece done on Joaquin and he talked about how he met Johnny Cash five years ago at a party. Johnny played a song on his guitar for everyone and June sang along. And then I guess Johnny was getting ready to leave, and he came up to Joaquin and said, "I really loved that Gladiator. I really like the way you say, 'Your wife moaned like a whore as they ravaged her again and again.' "

Ok, so it's one thing to meet Johnny Cash. It's also one thing to have him tell you that he likes one of your movies. But having him actually quote a line you said word for word is pretty awesome. I'm sure Joaquin was never more flattered.

Maybe he's just a really modest person, but Joaquin said that just preparing to make the movie ( learning how to sing and play guitar, learning more about Johnny) was reward enough for him, and that anything that might happen afterwards (The Golden Globe or the Oscar) is just like icing on the cake. The more clips I see from this movie, and the more people talk about it, the more I think that it's going to be amazing. I'm totally jealous that Oprah's audience got to see it more than a month before everyone else does. Oh well

Here's a song from June and Johnny.

Johnny Cash and June Carter- It Ain't Me Babe (from Carryin' On)

And now, a hot picture of Joaquin. So what if this whole post was just an excuse to show you his picture. Sue me.



Edit: 2:41 pm
Wow. 17 of you have already downloaded the M.I.A. track and it's only been up for a few hours. Does that mean you like it?

4 Comments:

Blogger Salome said...

M.I.A is amazing. I wish she would come to Virginia.

2:21 PM  
Blogger S.M.T. said...

She definitely is amazing. I wish she'd come back and play here, even though she was just here like 3 weeks ago :)

6:00 PM  
Blogger muruch said...

Thanks for the plug. And the info - I didn't know about the Sean Paul music. And the mp3s. I love Cash.

5:50 PM  
Blogger S.M.T. said...

You're very welcome. I really like your blog. You always have a lot of great tunes.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home