MsS: One of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you

Saturday, October 08, 2005

One of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you

I've been looking for some black boots. I didn't want them to have really chunky heels or stiletto heels. And I already have 20 eye docs, so I didn't want those either. I also didn't want to pay an arm and leg either. Thursday, I found the perfect ones when I was at the mall with my mom.



I also got them in brown. And yes I do have on shorts. You just can't see them. Get your minds out of the gutter people!

My most recent purchase made me think of the Nancy Sinatra song. And like usual, I wondered how many other people had covered that song. When I do these covers posts, I'm always really surprised with the kind of covers I find. We all know that Jessica Simpson covered These Boots Were Made for Walkin for The Dukes of Hazzard remake. But who would've thought that Megadeth would have a cover of this song as well. And Crispin Glover. And KMFDM?

Apparently when Nancy Sinatra first started recording music, her first couple of singles didn't do very well. But then she teamed up with producer Lee Hazlewood and arranger Billy Strange. They told her to lower her voice and toughen her delivery. The two men created material for her that emphasized go-go tempos and heavy basslines. One of the first songs they came up with was These Boots Are Made for Walkin' and the rest, as they say, is history.



Here are the many different versions of the Nancy Sinatra classic. First, here are Nancy's version as well as Lee Hazzlewood's. Lee's version is really interesting, 'cause he kind of tells the story of how the song was written in between the verses.

Nancy Sinatra- These Boots Are Made For Walkin' (from Boots)
Lee Hazzlewood- These Boots Are Made For Walkin' (from The Very Special World of Lee Hazzlewood)

Here are the rest:

Crispin Glover- These Boots Are Made For Walkin' (from Big Problems Does Not Equal the Solution)
Geri Halliwell- These Boots Are Made For Walkin' (from Bag it Up)
KMFDM- These Boots Are Made For Walkin' (from Boots)
Jessica Simpson- These Boots Are Made For Walkin' (from Dukes of Hazzard)
Loretta Lynn- These Boots Are Made For Walkin' (from Honky Tonk Girl: The Loretta Lynn Collection)
Megadeth- These Boots Are Made For Walkin' (from Killing is my Business...and Business is Good!)
Nick Cave & The Boys Next Door- These Boots Are Made For Walkin' (from Boy Hero/These Boots single)
Operation Ivy- These Boots Are Made For Walkin'
The Ventures- These Boots Are Made For Walkin' (from Go with the Ventures)

I really wanted to post Lil Kim's version of These Boots which is the theme song for the reality show Growing Up Gotti on A&E. But I couldn't find it anywhere. I still can't believe that she's actually in jail. Anyway, if you want to write to Lil Kim here's here address in the big house.

Kimberly Jones / 56198-054
FDC PHILADELPHIA
FEDERAL DETENTION CENTER
P.O. BOX 562
PHILADELPHIA, PA 19106

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always loved the Op Ivy cover of that song. :)

6:31 AM  
Blogger S.M.T. said...

I'd never heard OP's version until I found it the other day. Good stuff :)

11:52 AM  
Blogger S.M.T. said...

hey kiana!

Nancy's version is great, isn't it? I really love the "video" she did for it too.

And pretty much everything Crispin Glover does scares me a little. But I think he's really cool anyway.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why can't you believe she's in jail? I can't believe more (c)rap idiots are not in jail or dead. One can only hope.

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home