MsS: You could meet somebody who really loves you

Sunday, October 23, 2005

You could meet somebody who really loves you

Wow, check me out posting a little something every day. Go me! Don't expect it to keep going this way though. I'm sure Comcast will screw up our internet connection again at some point, since it's like a weekly occurrence now.

First of all, I'd like to the mention that The Prids have 3 new songs for you to listen to on their myspace page: Like Hearts, Back Up Slow, and Infection (Instrumental). The Prids make the best instrumental tracks ever. The 4th track up for your listening pleasure is the demo of All That You Want, but that's been around for awhile now.

The Prids also have a new drummer. His name is Joey Maas. I know he's gotta be awesome if he's playing with them. Their next show is in Portland, OR at Towne Lounge on November 5th. The band goes into the studio on December 5th to start recording their new album. It should be ready for release in March or April of next year. I can't wait, since they haven't put out an album since Love Zero in 2003. Actually, that's not very long to wait for another album. And The Prids have definitely been keeping super busy with all of the touring that they do. With the release of the new record, the Prids' new label will also be re-releasing old material and previously unreleased recordings (YAY). So looks like next year will be full of amazing music from The Prids



Yesterday afternoon, I watched The Smiths Complete Picture DVD. While I usually skip over it, I decided to watch the video for How Soon is Now? In the video, there's a girl with blonde hair in a red sweater, images of buildings and smoke stacks, a couple of shots of the band performing. Nothing terribly exciting. I have to not hear the song for awhile to really appreciate it, and to remember how epic it sounded when I first heard it. Classic Morrissey lyrics, but the song almost sounds bigger than the men who were playing it. Before I even knew who the Smiths were, I'd heard that song a million times. And it's probably the most recognized Smiths song there is. I think There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (the only one that I can play on guitar), is probably the favorite although Rubber Ring is mine.

The cover version of How Soon is Now? that I know best is the one done by Love Spit Love. It's the theme song for the television show Charmed, and was featured on the soundtrack for the movie The Craft. Love Spit Love was fronted by Richard Butler, lead singer of the Psychedelic Furs. Still, one of my favorite quotes ever is one from Mr. Butler:

"Just because you call yourself psychedelic doesn't mean you are psychedelic."


Brilliant.

Below are a few different versions of How Soon Is Now? I was going to post the original, original, but Morrissey doing it at Earl's Court is just as good, yeah?

Morrissey- How Soon is Now (from Live at Earl's Court)
Love Spit Love- How Soon is Now (from the Charmed soundtrack)
The String Quartet- How Soon is Now (from Tribute to the Smiths)
Afghan Whigs- How Soon is Now
Quicksand- How Soon is Now


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home