MsS: Fall back quiet like graves

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Fall back quiet like graves

I've gotta thank Carlos for making one of my life long dreams come true. I've always wanted to see my name in liner notes, and thanks to Lakota, I know have. See? What I love most is that my name is right after Carlos D's. Los, you're the best.



I guess it wouldn't be cool for Carlos to tell you how awesome his own band is, so I'll gladly do it. Lakota is a four piece pop punk group out of NYC. Think Foo Fighters meets Sugar. In Spring 2003, bassist Carlos Ramirez met singer/guitarist Kayne Konecny. Kayne played Carlos a demo tape he had, and the two decided to start a group. Kayne knew guitarist Pat Lane from a previous band, and he asked Pat to jam along with him and Carlos. After finding a drummer in Lou Lagno, Lakota started working on songs.

When I spent a month in New York during the summer of 2003, I was lucky enough to catch one of Lakota's practices. It was the closest thing to an actual show that I could see (since I was going back home to Atlanta in a few weeks), so I was thrilled. For four guys who hadn't been playing together all that long, they sounded great and I was really impressed with how amazing the songs sounded resonating off the walls of their practice space. They were incredibly energetic and having a great time playing.

A few months later, Lakota picked five of their best songs and recorded them with producer Juan Garcia at Magic Shop Studios in Manhatthan. This 5 song EP included Idle, So Simple, Shouldn't Have To, You Know I Know, and Standing By, and was sent out to venues around NYC (and friends of the band *wink*).

In 2004, Jimmy Herbst joined Lakota as their new drummer, and in March of this year, the band released their Aquaintances EP, which included almost all of the songs from their unreleased EP, as well as the song A Rich Man.



Lakota recently released their debut album, Hope for the Haunted, on Pop Up Records. Kayne and Carlos have definitely proved what an amazing songwriting team they are and this record will surely make a fan out of many.

You can downloaded Hope for the Haunted's first track, Quiet Like Graves, from the bands myspace page here. Or if you're too lazy to go there, you can download it below. But be sure to check out their myspace page anyway for 3 more tracks and their Pure Volume page to listen to the entire record, and some older recordings. Also, be sure to check out Lakota's awesome new site. Kayne did the whole thing and it looks great.

Lakota- Quiet Like Graves (from Hope for the Haunted)


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love lakota

2:24 PM  
Blogger S.M.T. said...

You're very welcome Los :)

11:32 PM  
Blogger S.M.T. said...

Glad to hear that anonymous :)

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home