MsS: Keep on Dancing

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Keep on Dancing

A few weeks ago, Clint left me this comment on my myspace page:

Just got back from the vegoose festival where I saw Beck and Sleater-Kinney. I thought about you because I saw a guy with a "Pretty Girls Make Graves" shirt. You got me addicted, I can't wait for a new album.



I think everyone has those bands that they love so much, that their name becomes synonymous with adoration for the band. Like if I see Duran Duran on tv, I think of my friend Melina who loves them. Or if I hear an Oasis song, I think of Michelle. To a lot of people, I'm that girl that LOVES Pretty Girls Make Graves.

1665841_l

You might not believe that I love Pretty Girls Make Graves more than Bloc Party or M.I.A. since I haven't gushed as much over PGMG as the other two. But that's because they haven't had a new album out in a while. But that will soon change.

Obviously, my blog is named after a PGMG song. I don't know what it is, but whenever I hear this band, I'm instantly happy. I don't really understand why this happens. It's not that their songs are especially upbeat or all happy go lucky. But whenever I listen to them, I immediately remember how I felt the first time I heard The Getaway. How excited I was to hear something so different from the stuff that I had been listening to. To me, there are few things better than the first day you discover an awesome band. And for me, there's never been a first day discovery better than the day I discovered Pretty Girls Make Graves.

PGMG was the first female fronted band that I really became infatuated with. I remember Andrea Zollo saying in an interview that a few girls have come up to her and said that they really never listened to female fronted bands before they heard PGMG. But after hearing PGMG, I guess I became more aware of other girl fronted bands like The Gits (who were also from Seattle) and The Gossip.



Earlier this week, the band updated their myspace blog and this is what they had to say:

We are finally going to have a new website up , I feel like we have been saying that forever..But yeah it's true...Until then, this is the only place we will be posting news and such..So here is some news...

Our new record, "ELAN VITAL" will be released on April 11th on Matador Records, and yes, that is a very long time from now..Here is the track listing for it..

1. The Nocturnal House
2. Pyrite Pedestal
3. The Number
4. Parade
5. Domino
6. Interlude
7. The Magic Hour
8. Selling the Wind
9. Pearls on a Plate
10. Pictures of a Night Scene
11. Wildcat
12. Bullet Charm

We are really excited for you to hear it, and will post a few of the songs up on this site in a little bit.

We are headed back to Australia for a bunch of shows with The Gossip, that tour is in late Feb. and the shows are all getting worked out now..There will be a limited tour only single released on Popfrenzy records for those shows.

In other band member news, J has been busy remixing some great songs. You should pick up the Bloc Party remix record and the Neon Blonde ep, J did awesome remixes on both of those..

Nick is busy working on the next Dutch Dub release, he is currently on an Island in a cupcake working like mad..Check out www.mistakemachine.com for more info..

Derek and Andrea have been working on songs for an upcoming film from our good friend Mike Ott (Sound-Virus records). You can see the trailer from the movie and hear one of those songs at www.inbetweendaysmovie.com The song is called "Endings" and is still a pretty rough demo.

Andrea also just got finished recording a song with local Hip Hop group Grayskul for there upcoming record...

More Later.

I'm SO excited about the new Pretty Girls Make Graves album. April is way too far away, but I guess I'll just have to wait for it. But I know this album is gonna to be amazing.

Here are some PGMG tracks. The first one is from the Matador at 15 compilation and the second one is from their self titled ep that was released on Dim Mak a few years ago. Liquid Courage is usually the only song from the EP that they tend to play live. The last song is a NEW song recorded at a Pretty Girls Make Graves show. I have no idea what this new song is called, but when I came across it the other day, I definitely remember hearing it the last time I saw Pretty Girls Make Graves in concert, which was in March of 2004. Man, that was AGES ago. If I had the means, I'd totally follow that band around on tour. Anyway, this new track is fucking awesome and I hope it's on the new record. The track is made even better because Mahjongg adds a little extra somethin somethin to the song. Enjoy and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Pretty Girls Make Graves- C-30 C-60 C-90 Go! (from Matador at 15)
Pretty Girls Make Graves- Liquid Courage (from Pretty Girls Make Graves)
Pretty Girls Make Graves- New song (live) *highly recommended*



Oh yeah, and the other girl in this picture is Leona Marrs. She's the newest member of the band.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home