MsS: I know what you're thinking

Friday, December 02, 2005

I know what you're thinking

Because I'm HTML challenged, it took me forever to figure out how to put that banner up at the top of my blog. But I did it! For those of you who might be wondering, it's a picture of the DJ booth at WUOG that I took in 2003. I mention WUOG quite a bit, I know, but honestly, I'm so grateful to that radio station and to all of the great people that I met while I was a DJ and a member of the music staff. It was my favorite thing about college, hands down. If not for WUOG, I wouldn't know about 90% of the bands that I listen to now, and that would be a terrible, terrible shame. Below are pictures of the Lobby, and the entire DJ booth as it looked a few years ago.

station04

booth

This is what I wrote in my journal on April 4th, 2002, the day after my first DJ shift:

So today I slept...a lot. I had to I was SOOO tired. Yesterday I got an email from our training director Anna, asking if any one of us new trainees wanted an early Thursday morning shift from 3-6am. the first person to respond would get it. I found the email about an hour and a half after she had sent it. So I emailed her saying that I'd like to do it. Later I got an email and a call from Chris Lozzo, the programming director, confirming that I was now the 3-6am Thursday morning dj. Wild. I was a little nervous because I didn't know if I would remember everything. I made out a list of opens that I wanted to play,and wrote down the track numbers. I woke up at 2 am this morning and went to the station. My shift went really well I think. I played lots of cool stuff in my opens including, further seems forever, shun, minus, swift, glassjaw, far, refused, nonpoint, rival schools, siouxsie and the banshees, and poison the well. I didn't think anyone would listen to the show. But I actually got a call after I played "New Year's Project" by Further. Some kid wanted to know the name of the song and the band. So that made me feel good that at least that person was listening. Also Curtis was sweet enough to stay up the whole time and listen to the show. I don't even know any of my friends who would do that. Not that I blame them. Who wants to get up at 3 and listen to a show until 6 in the morning?

That 3 to 6 shift was rough, but I got used to it after awhile. And honestly, I was just SOO excited about being a DJ that I didn't so much mind waking up that early to go to the station every week. I LOVED playing music on the radio. Of course, I never had a 3 to 6 shift ever again. I'm not crazy or nothin' :)

Here's a song that I heard a lot during my days at WUOG. This was definitely a favorite of many of the DJs and listeners. Masters of the Hemisphere was a local indie pop band, and we very much loved them. Anything, Anything is just a great song.

Masters of the Hemisphere- Anything, Anything (from Protest a Dark Anniversary)

Now here's some music news. Bella Lea had to change their name because another band was also named Bella Lea. So now they're called Ambulette. I wonder what they're going to do about their old merch. Their music is still awesome though. Visit Ambulette's myspace page here.

Head Automatica have headed back into the studio to record the follow up to their debut cd, Decadence. They're documenting the recording process on video, and the first installment can be see here (quicktime) or on their myspace page here. Daryl talks a lot in the video, and he hasn't lost that awesome Long Island accent. Hmm, I think I might make a glassJAw post soon.

If you enjoyed my Terribly Empty Pockets post the other day, you can check out another track by the band here on Columbus Discount Records' myspace page. I believe it's called Trucks and it's the B-side to the Sexxy World 7"

Finally here's a great song to get your Friday night dance parties started

Captain Sensible- Wot (from Collection)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you like Terribly Empty Pockets you should check out Jordan O'Jordan and the rest of the Columbus Discount Records bands.

www.columbusdiscountrecords.com

i definately recommend the new Jordan album. it is one of my favorite albums of the year. the Pockets were the backing musicians for several of the tracks.

you can find Jordan mp3s at the CDR site, Jordan's myspace page, and there are even a few tracks posted at The Catbirdseat.

http://www.catbirdseat.org/joj01.mp3

9:26 PM  
Blogger S.M.T. said...

I'll defnitely be sure to check out Jordan O'Jordan. Thanks for the info JR!

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home